In the middle of a long assignment for illustration. We had to design a band for a specific era, with four members. It's a lot to think about. I'm still brainstorming ways to make them more interesting. I had a lot of fun researching 50's jazz bands, and styles. (If the style looks odd, it's because it refferences the teddy boys/girls style going on mainly in Britain at the time, which is pretty fascinating. Pretty contradictory to the post-war re-feminization that was happening. I chose the band name because I thought miners canaries were a pretty good metaphor for factory workers gone all-female-jazz-band.
Wednesday, March 21, 2012
So, here's my character all skinned and walking. I made this version for the second round of the Travelers installation. Much better than the flamingo I think. I will get a video up soon.
On another note, if you go to oliviawhen.com, you will now be able to find me! I was finally able to get the name servers and domain transfer all settled, so that's a huge relief.
Wednesday, March 7, 2012
Our most recent project in stop motion was on puppet animation, with Juliana Chen & Brittany Brickhouse. Two weeks, with one week for building and the other for animating/editing. Building was a lot of brainstorming for everyone. On the one hand I lucked out doing environment things, because none of it had to move. On the other hand, how to you make a stable tree? What do you use for grass? Our solution was to stick mostly to painted modeling clay, so we had a semi-consistent look. The sheep are unpainted, so they're a bit softer. The tree is modeling clay and tissue paper/wire (basically just a bunch of green, mexican paper flowers.) The backgrounds are watercolor and acrylic paintings. The wall is also just a bunch of clay rocks. The animation part was 11 straight hours of work. It's great animating with another person though, because they can keep you from moving to fast, and help come up with solutions for unforeseen problems. Also, it helps to be able to trade off animating and capturing.
Monday, March 5, 2012
A superhero redesign assignment, with Nightwing as my character. Still needs a bit of reworking in the final (top), mainly in the character, and some messing around with lighting. The 30 minutes I spent on the background were disturbingly gleeful. I've hardly gotten any chances to do cityscapes recently.
So, this is sort of a reverse process of how I work, excluding all the sketches it took to get to the rotation, and the research parts. In terms of concept I went through a lot of back and forth with how superhero-y to make the costume, but wound up leaning towards more of a casual, diy vigilante look. Also because his current look is very minimalistic, and his older ones were fairly garish. A lot of owl references went into this.