Sunday, April 29, 2012
ALRIGHT! Everything for my final illustration project! (Plus the jubjub birds in the last post. PLUS! A redo I did this morning of Count Olaf's mansion from Series of Unfortunate Events.) They'r'e all based on the Jabberwocky by Lewis Carroll. I was so happy they were well received! I feel like I've definitely learned a lot from this class over the semester. I re-fashioned myself a new way to work digitally (and quickly) and actually feel a lot more confident in my ability to do characters, which has been almost a fear of mine in recent years. I'm kind of sad it'll be my last illustration class! I feel like pace it set really helped set a level of critical evaluation that carried into my other things. It was a great class and semester though.
Wednesday, April 25, 2012
Some quick sketches/shots from two of my finals. The top three are half of my sketches for concept designs on the Jabberwocky. Fancy jubjub birds, a childish hero, and a bunch of odd villagers. The bottom is from my 3d character final. An almost rabbit looks for somewhere he fits in. More soon, plus things from my independent study animation, and stop-motion animation. (Hopefully.)
Monday, April 16, 2012
7 hours in the studio today. Wish I had more time to work on this. The technique is really quite tedious though. It's hard to move the puppets and keep them clean, and remember what I was doing with the charcoal. Looks neat so far though. And I did the rain using particle systeemms. (No reason.)
Thursday, April 12, 2012
So I haven't mentioned it on here yet, but this semester I've also been working on this really fantastic side project with a small group of fellow animation majors and kids. It's a project started by my prof Lynn Tomlinson, whose daughter Lucy is actually my partner for the project. (See top picture.) Basically, 8 female animation students, and 8 5th graders from the Jemicy school for students with dyslexia and related language-based learning difficulties, animating short films! The films all teach a learning trick, which the girls picked out and helped storyboard. We taught them some acting techniques, and the basic concepts, and how to use some of the equipment, then it was all just about creating and working together. It was really a collaboration. It was also the first time I've worked on one painting with someone simultaneously (which was fun. It's the background of the second picture.)
We finally reached our kickstarter goal today! We've got 11 days to go still. Anything else we're able to raise will go to getting equipment for the Jemicy school so they can keep working, as well as maybe starting another round of this! You can check it out here: http://tinyurl.com/micajem
We're getting pretty good coverage! We were in [this newspaper article], and on the front page of the mica website.
It was a great project, and I'm really glad I got to be a part of it. It's amazing working with kids, because you really get some insight into their thought and creative process. Lucy really was like the art director of most our piece.
Above you can also see some of the other things I've been putting together for some of the booklets we're giving out as prizes. I'm a bit tentative with the graphic design stuff, but hopefully it's alright.
If you're in Baltimore our screening is Sunday, April 29th at 5pm! Come talk to the kids and animators and learn some handy tricks while you're at it! (Come on, you know you still have problems with 8 x 8 sometimes.)