So I haven't mentioned it on here yet, but this semester I've also been working on this really fantastic side project with a small group of fellow animation majors and kids. It's a project started by my prof Lynn Tomlinson, whose daughter Lucy is actually my partner for the project. (See top picture.) Basically, 8 female animation students, and 8 5th graders from the Jemicy school for students with dyslexia and related language-based learning difficulties, animating short films! The films all teach a learning trick, which the girls picked out and helped storyboard. We taught them some acting techniques, and the basic concepts, and how to use some of the equipment, then it was all just about creating and working together. It was really a collaboration. It was also the first time I've worked on one painting with someone simultaneously (which was fun. It's the background of the second picture.)
We finally reached our kickstarter goal today! We've got 11 days to go still. Anything else we're able to raise will go to getting equipment for the Jemicy school so they can keep working, as well as maybe starting another round of this! You can check it out here: http://tinyurl.com/micajem
We're getting pretty good coverage! We were in [this newspaper article], and on the front page of the mica website.
It was a great project, and I'm really glad I got to be a part of it. It's amazing working with kids, because you really get some insight into their thought and creative process. Lucy really was like the art director of most our piece.
Above you can also see some of the other things I've been putting together for some of the booklets we're giving out as prizes. I'm a bit tentative with the graphic design stuff, but hopefully it's alright.
If you're in Baltimore our screening is Sunday, April 29th at 5pm! Come talk to the kids and animators and learn some handy tricks while you're at it! (Come on, you know you still have problems with 8 x 8 sometimes.)